Student Athletes at Ikast-Brande Gymnasium
In line with our school vision, Ikast-Brande Gymnasium aims to be a leader in empowering student athletes to pursue both sports and education without compromising either.
We aim to be the number one choice for Danish and international student-athletes who wish to pursue a secondary school diploma in Denmark.
Our mission is to ensure a student-athlete friendly environment which seamlessly combines school and sports without compromising on the high standards of either. In line with our school’s mission, we believe in a holistic approach to combining education and sports to ensure excellence in both. Community is at the core of our mission to create a safe learning environment in which every student-athlete thrives academically, socially and athletically and reaches his or her potential in both sports and education.
Club, school, family and sports team are treated as one entity which must work seamlessly and closely together to ensure excellence in sports and education.
All student-athletes must have equal opportunities to non-athletes to reach their academic potential, without having to compromise on their sports. As such, we continously work to create an inclusive study environment which encompasses the demands of practicing sports at an elite level.
Student-athletes at a semi-elite level should have the chance to further develop their skills in sports without having to compromise on their educational pathways. Semi-elite student athletes are part of a healthy learning environment in both club and school which fosters both academic and athletic development and which encompasses the demands of the athlete’s sport.
To ensure an optimal environment for practicing sports and pursuing education without compromising on either, our school and the local clubs continuously challenge existing ideas and possibilities within the environments of education and sports.
Outline of our athlete-friendly policies:
- Ikast-Brande Gymnasium has two sports coordinators who liaise between the local clubs and teams, the student athlete and school staff. Our coordinators are also teachers at Ikast-Brande Gymnasium as well as being well-connected to the world of sports. One is a former Olympian gold medal winner in handball, and the other is a coach for the local semi-elite football club.
- Student athletes who practice their sports in clubs that offer morning practices are enrolled in Sports Classes with an adjusted timetable that ensures that students are able to practice their sports three mornings a week without missing school time.
- If/when student athletes are away due to competitions and games, extra make-up lessons are offered to the students. The sports coordinators help organize these lessons in close collaboration with the management team and the student athlete, taking into account his or her specific academic needs.
- School work is moved if a student athlete is particularly busy with his or her sport during certain times in the year. This is done in close collaboration between school, club, and the student athlete.
- Extended and individually planned programmes are offered to student athletes. The IB Diploma may be extended to last 3 of 4 years, rather than 2 years. In the national programme, examination times as well as the length of the programme are adjusted to fit the needs of the student athlete.
- Pastoral support is at the core of our approach to ensuring a student-athlete friendly school environment. The sports coordinators, teachers, school management and clubs are continuously in close contact with the student-athlete and his or her parents about the student’s well-being, both academically and socially as well as athletically.